The Pitch & Polish platform is designed to give local entrepreneurs the opportunity to have their ideas brainstormed, tested and challenged.
Through the course of the day they receive valuable feedback and insights – and win cash prizes! The format includes both a workshop and competition element. It is very much a lateral-thinking national business competition, exposing would-be entrepreneurs to entrepreneurial training and thinking, helping entrepreneurs turn their business or business idea into a success. It isa unique platform and search for the wonderful hidden entrepreneurial gems in South Africa.
Allon Raiz, CEO of Raizcorp, a company deeply involved in supporting entrepreneurs, recognised the great need to develop entrepreneurs and became committed to providing existing and potential small business owners (SMMEs) with entrepreneurial thinking and knowledge. He designed a dynamic programme, Pitch & Polish, which was launched in 2010 throughout the country. The prime objective for Pitch & Polish is to help entrepreneurs in towns and cities across South Africa polish their business pitch.
Format of the event:
Participants take part in a free day-long competition-based workshop
- Pre-registration is required to be a participant and/or contestant
- On the day contestants “pitch” their business idea to the audience
- A facilitator gives tips and guidance, helped by the audience, to “polish” the pitch until the contestants have a professional and in-depth presentation
- The audience are primed to role-play as bankers and investors and interact throughout the day with valuable feedback
- The event culminates in the contestants giving their final three minute pitch
- Winners from Round 1, Round 2 and the Wild Card go through to the semi-final
- Winners from the semi-final go through to the final, which is held in Johannesburg
- It is a learning environment and opportunity for both the contestants and participants
- Both contestants and audience discover how to produce a compelling, well-rounded presentation It’s fun, stimulating and motivational
The Wild Card element is in partnership with SAfm, Pitch and Polish’s media partner. Anyone in the country can apply online, contestants are selected from the online applications, informed of the opportunity and scheduled to pitch on the SAfm Wild Card competition element. On the day, they are called by the radio station to pitch their idea on air, with studio judges giving feedback, along with listeners. There are 3 on-air rounds, and a final on-air round. The winner goes straight through to the semi-finals of the National competition.