To recognise the contribution of female professionals to Africa’s built environment, the African Construction and Totally Concrete Expos in conjunction with Department of Public Works and the Construction Industry Development Board, presented the 2nd annual Women in Construction Excellence Awards hosted in Johannesburg on 28 May 2014.
Now in their second year, the awards celebrated the expanded role of women and diversity in the construction industry. They honoured women who have pioneered the development of the African built environment and recognised the emerging leaders in the industry.
“The judging panel was presented with 11 shortlisted candidates and the decision was extremely difficult. I wish each of the candidates could have received an award, they all have done amazing work,” says Stefanie Pillay, Head of the Awards Committee.
In a touching ceremony, moderated by Ms Itumeleng Dlamini, Executive Director of Master Builders South Africa, Mzwandile Sokupa and Kotli Molise, CEO and Communications Manager respectively of Construction Industry Development Board handed over the awards to the three deserving winners:
- Industry transformation: Ms Malani Padayachee-Saman, Founder and CEO, Malani Padayachee and Associates, South Africa
- Emerging excellence: Ms Adele Lombard, Structural Engineer, GIBB Consulting Engineers, South Africa
- African project leader: Mrs. Azeb Asnake, CEO, Ethiopian Electric Power, Ethiopia
All three winners received an awards trophy and a gift bag sponsored by abe, Bagshaw Footwear, Builders Warehouse, Concrete.TV and Protea Hotels. The African Construction and Totally Concrete Expos and Conferences took place in Johannesburg from 26 – 28 May 2014. Over three days, the events brought together construction and concrete experts from across the continent to facilitate an interactive exchange of knowledge, to advance collaboration and to showcase the latest tools and technology available.
- dmg events acquires suite of exhibitions and supporting media from South African media company
- Maritime development drives new business opportunities for South Africa
- Hypenica Project Management and Engineering
- Shows, exhibitions and conferences: connecting to thousands under one roof
- Spotlight on the 2016 African Construction and Totally Concrete Expo's