Around 2,030 million years ago a meteor the size of a mountain (about 10km across) fell to earth in South Africa’s Free State making a crater 300km across; it is the oldest crater made by either a comet or meteorite and reportedly the site of the largest energy release in history.
In 2015, scientists claimed to have found a bigger crater (around 400km wide) underground in the Austrlian outback, although it is not visible on the earth's surface.
- How to invest meaningfully in Africa
- This is how many dollar millionaires there are in South Africa and how many are part of the world’s richest 1%
- The cost of paranoia about SA: Businesses have wasted trillions on overseas flops
- Entrepreneurship: What if someone steals your big idea?
- Social connection that leads to business success