Around 2,030 million years ago a meteor the size of a mountain (about 10km across) fell to earth in South Africa’s Free State making a crater 300km across; it is the oldest crater made by either a comet or meteorite and reportedly the site of the largest energy release in history.
In 2015, scientists claimed to have found a bigger crater (around 400km wide) underground in the Austrlian outback, although it is not visible on the earth's surface.
- New facility aims to boost trade for SA firms in Africa
- Absa introduces WhatsApp Banking - A first for SA
- Siemens Gamesa to install two large onshore wind farm projects in South Africa
- Advancing South Africa into the 4th Industrial Revolution
- 5 things McKinsey is doing to try salvage its reputation in South Africa