One of the world’s leading event companies, dmg events, has announced the acquisition of long established Pan African exhibition organiser Exhibition Management Services Pty Ltd (EMS) – headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa.
dmg events is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Daily Mail and General Trust plc (DMGT), an international portfolio of digital, information, media and events businesses.
“This acquisition is part of our strategy to become key event players in Africa. EMS offers a strategic hub in Africa’s largest economy,” says Geoff Dickinson, CEO at dmg events.
EMS adds five shows to the existing portfolio of dmg events:
- SAITEX – A non-food retail products exhibition
- Africa’s Big Seven (AB7) – The continent’s biggest food and beverage industry trade expo
- WAMPEX – Mining and power, machinery and technology, Ghana
- INDUTEC – Industrial design and manufacturing expo
- CIS – An industry showcase in Cape Town, covering the oil & gas, marine and offshore, logistics and temperature controlled warehousing sectors together with relevant small business suppliers.
dmg events now operates 12 events across the continent, including construction and interiors in Morocco, oil and gas in Egypt, construction and coatings in Kenya, and the Global African Investment Summit that takes place in London, UK and Kigali, Rwanda.
The Johannesburg-based company will change its name to dmg EMS Africa, reporting to dmg events’ Middle East, Asia and Africa division that operates some of the largest exhibitions in the region. These include ‘The Big 5’ series of construction events, ‘INDEX’ the interiors event in Dubai, and The Hotel Show – the Middle East’s biggest Hotel and Hospitality event.
“The team and I are excited about the events and opportunities that this acquisition opens to us in Africa. We can build significantly on the existing successful EMS events and already have plans to grow the business with fresh launches supported from our new Johannesburg hub,” says Matt Denton, President of dmg events – Middle East, Asia and Africa.
“dmg events with its extensive portfolio of events, international networks and financial resources is the ideal organisation to further develop and expand upon the portfolio of exhibitions that we have established over 35 years in Africa, says John Thomson owner and founder of EMS in 1981,” says John Thomson owner and founder of EMS in 1981.
The sale was brokered by Mayfield Media Strategies, specialist brokers for the global exhibitions sector.
- dmg events acquires suite of exhibitions and supporting media from South African media company
- The countdown begins for Cape Town’s oil and gas show
- SA is gateway to Africa - Cape Industries Showcase
- Africa’s food suppliers target international exports in the drive for growth and profit
- Why International companies view Joburg show as gateway to southern Africa