As the country gears to hear President Jacob Zuma address the nation on Thursday, during the opening of Parliament, motorists in Cape Town have been advised to familiarise themselves with the road closure schedule and parking restrictions to avoid being inconvenienced.
President Zuma will on Thursday deliver his State of the Nation Address (SONA), which will outline government’s plans and its achievements in the implementation of the National Development Plan, which is aimed at eliminating poverty and reducing inequality by 2030.
“National government and the South African Police Service have requested that a number of roads, mostly in the central business district (CBD), be closed for an extended time, starting from 6am on Thursday, 9 February 2017, to accommodate the State of the Nation Address,” the City of Cape Town said.
Motorists should note the closure of the M3 and N2 at 17:45 on Thursday. The M5 will be the best option as an alternative route.
The following roads will be closed on Thursday from 6am to 11:59pm:
- Government Avenue
- Wale Street West bound between Queen Victoria Street and Bureau Street
- Bureau Street between Adderley Street and Parliament Street
- Parliament Street from the gates of Parliament to approximately 35m before Longmarket Street (excluding the parking garage situated in Parliament Street)
- Spin Street between Plein Street and Parliament Street
- Mostert Street between Plein Street and Corporation Street
- Plein St / St Johns Street between Vrede Street and Longmarket Street
- Barrack Street between Corporation Street and Plein Street
- Commercial Street between Buitenkant and Plein Street
- Roeland Street between Buitenkant Street and Plein Street
- Gallery Lane
- Bouquet Street and parking area
- Hope Street between Roeland Street and Wesley Street
- Glynn Street between Hope Street and Buitenkant Street
- Wesley Street between Buitenkant Street and Hope Street
5pm to 8pm
- Adderley Street between Strand Street and Bureau Street
- Wale Street between Queen Victoria Street and Adderley Street
5:45pm to 7pm
- Klipper Road, Newlands from Main Road (M4) to Newlands Avenue
- Princess Anne Avenue, Newlands from Newlands Avenue to Union Avenue
- Newlands Avenue, Newlands from Dean Street to Princess Anne Avenue
- Dean Street, Newlands, westbound from Main Road (M4) to Newlands Avenue
- M3, Union Avenue, Rhodes Drive, De Waal Drive / Nelson Mandela Blvd, City -bound carriageway: from Newlands Avenue to City Centre
- Woolsack Drive, Rondebosch, westbound: between Main Road (M4) and Rhodes Drive (M3)
- Anzio Road, Observatory: from Main Road (M4) to De Waal Drive (M3)
- N2, Settlers Way City - bound carriageway: from Main Road (M4) to City Centre
- N2, Settlers Way City - bound carriageway at M5: (traffic will be diverted along Black River Parkway to the City).
- De Waal Dr City - bound: from Hospital Bend to Brandweer Street
- Roeland Street: from Brandweer Street to Buitenkant St
- ‘Dirty’ water concerns City of Cape Town staff members
- Amazon servers are now in Cape Town, making for much faster stream for its cloud customers
- Polarised sunglasses and binoculars could save you from sharks in Cape Town
- Cold front heads towards Cape Town, bringing more rain
- Huge rise in parking fees expected to hit Cape Town