The University of Cape Town (UCT) says it’s saddened by the death of its Dean of Health Sciences Professor Bongani Mayosi.
It’s understood the 51-year-old cardiology professor passed away in Cape Town on Friday, though the cause of death is not yet known.
Mayosi, who was the country’s top cardiologist, became a dean two years ago.
He was awarded the country’s highest honour, the Order of Mapungubwe, in 2009.
UCT vice-chancellor Mamokgethi Phakeng says the university is in contact with Mayosi’s family, which has requested that “their privacy be respected during this difficult time”.
- SA's free coding college is looking for students - and you don't even need a matric to get in
- SA businesses can now turn to the new Commercial Court – this is how it will work
- SA has highest youth unemployment in the world
- National debt, fuel relief package on list of expectations for MTBPS
- Delisting plan spurs Verimark