South Africa's Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors (IRBA) said on Sunday that following its initial review of Steinhoff's auditors Deloitte South Africa it would pursue further lines of investigation.
The IRBA said in December 2017 it would investigate Steinhoff's auditor following the retail group's disclosure of accounting irregularities.
Steinhoff, whose more than 40 brands include Britain's Poundland, revealed accounting irregularities in December.
"The Steinhoff case is a multifaceted one which will require significant investigation. Nevertheless, our initial review of the audit files has identified some lines of further investigation which we are pursuing," the IRBA said in a statement. It did not give further details.
- Group confirms suffering damage to its reputation
- South Africa may consider rate increase in grip of a recession
- NETSOL Technologies Goes Live in South Africa with German Auto Manufacturing Giant
- Rand slumps as SA enters recession for first time since 2009
- South Africa’s Vodacom launches 5G Internet service