South Africa's Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors (IRBA) said on Sunday that following its initial review of Steinhoff's auditors Deloitte South Africa it would pursue further lines of investigation.
The IRBA said in December 2017 it would investigate Steinhoff's auditor following the retail group's disclosure of accounting irregularities.
Steinhoff, whose more than 40 brands include Britain's Poundland, revealed accounting irregularities in December.
"The Steinhoff case is a multifaceted one which will require significant investigation. Nevertheless, our initial review of the audit files has identified some lines of further investigation which we are pursuing," the IRBA said in a statement. It did not give further details.
- Manufacturing Indaba Western Cape 2018
- Business rescue or liquidation – when to choose which
- What Joburg, Cape Town and Durban’s best areas for property growth have in common
- This is what your credit score should be and how to improve it
- 6 trends you need to know about if you want to open a franchise in South Africa in 2019