The Nedbank Stellenbosch University LaunchLab has kicked off with the first leg of its biannual Ideas Programme Pitching Platform for 2016. Participants stand a chance of winning their share of over R150,000 of incubation support services.
The LaunchLab’s vision is to drive innovation and entrepreneurship to cultivate an inclusive and vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem in Africa, starting with the Western Cape.
“This programme is open to all aspiring and practising entrepreneurs from student and non-student communities who have innovative business ideas that are viable and could provide solutions to business challenges,” said Philip Marais, CEO of LaunchLab.
In February 2016, the LaunchLab announced its first Breakthrough Innovation Challenge, which focused specifically on unlocking innovation in its Paid Media vertical.
“This semester, in addition to the MultiChoice Media Breakthrough Innovation Challenge, the LaunchLab is looking for ideas in the following focus areas: Fintech and Big Data, Cleantech, Agritech and Food, Edutech, and anything exceptional,” adds Philip.
Participants can submit their pitch online at or book to video record their pitch at participating institutions around the Western Cape. Participating institutions are: Stellenbosch University (SU); University of the Western Cape (UWC); University of Cape Town (UCT); the South African School of Motion Picture and Performance (AFDA) as well as the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) College and False Bay College (FBC.)
The pitches are video recorded and then filtered through a judging round to select finalists to pitch at the final event, which will be hosted at the Nedbank Stellenbosch University LaunchLab. The winners will be announced at the Pitching Platform final which takes place on 19 May 2016. The Nedbank Stellenbosch University LaunchLab is proudly sponsored and supported by the Department of Trade and Industry, Stellenbosch University, Nedbank and Innovus, the industry interaction and innovation company of Stellenbosch University. Other sponsors include Alchemy-A, a Technopark-based acceleration programme.
The Pitching Platform pitches will be recorded as follows:
- Stellenbosch University, Nedbank Stellenbosch University LaunchLab - 6, 12 and 15 April 2016.
- University of Cape Town, MTN Solution Space - 7 and 20 April 2016
- University of the Western Cape, Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship – 8, 13 and 19 April 2016
- False Bay College (Westlake Campus) Centre for Entrepreneurship - 11 April 2016
- AFDA, Observatory Campus - 14 and 18 April 2016
- Interest rates likely unchanged until late 2019 - Nedbank
- Dual System Apprenticeships are putting employers in the driver's seat
- False Bay College; Invitation to do business with False Bay TVET College
- Responsive distance learning offerings
- Old Mutual to retain 20% of South Africa’s Nedbank after split