Premier Helen Zille and Minister Alan Winde will officially launch WiFi hotspots linking 50,000 Western Cape residents to public internet.
This forms part of the Western Cape Government’s R1.3bn broadband rollout plan. The hotspot launches taking place next week are in Atlantis, George and Robertson. The Delft hotspot will be launched in October. Minister Winde will launch the first hotspot in George on Monday. Premier Zille and Minister Winde will launch the Atlantis hotspot later that week. The Robertson launch takes place on Friday, 29 August.
In November last year, the Department of Economic Development and Tourism opened the call for proposals for non-profit organisations to access grant funding to set up free Wi-Fi zones. Minister Winde said the models used by the different NPO’s become the test cases the Western Cape Government will consider going forward.
“We will assess what model works best, so we can eventually deploy WiFi hotspots to the Western Cape. In Delft, we are already seeing how access to affordable internet is improving education outcomes. Our goal is that every resident in this province will have access to affordable internet, which will connect them with employment and education opportunities. This is a major asset for communities and I look forward to seeing the real benefits of connectivity in terms of growth and job creation,” said Minister Winde.