Western Digital has announced the availability of the WD Blue and WD Green Solid State Drives (SSDs) in the local market. The WD-branded SATA client drives are ideal for building new PC systems and implementing performance upgrades. These new SSDs complement WD’s primary range of hard drives for PCs and workstations, providing a full portfolio of WD storage devices to meet a plethora of needs.
Having matured in purchasing decisions, the South African market is now looking for sizable storage with the added advantage of speed and increased reliability. “This is where WD SSDs come in. The Green drive is the ultimate mix of performance and value for money. Suitable for everyday use, it’s ideal to enhance the lifecycle and supplement the performance of an aging laptop or desktop,” explains Kalvin Subbadu, Western Digital Storage Technology sales manager for SA, “while the Blue drive is aimed at DIY computing enthusiasts, gamers and content creators because these kinds of users are looking for a high-performance drive to meet their demands for speed,”
“Our SSDs have near-maximum speed for SATA drives, along with best-in-class endurance and Mean Time To Failure (MTTF) – which is the length of time a device is expected to last in operation and a great indicator of technology reliability. These drives have passed through rigorous performance testing at the WD Fit Lab, which means they’re certified to boost system performance, enable quick boot times and deliver increased program responsiveness,” Subbadu continues.
Users will benefit from a combination of ultra-reliable storage and an industry-leading 1.75 million hours MTTF, along with the ability to compute using reduced power input and heat output to deliver a quiet, cool, fast operation when compared to HDDs. Additionally, both drives include free, downloadable WD SSD Dashboard software, which enables users to conduct continuous performance and capacity monitoring.
“For those in search of instant-on responsiveness, durability, low power consumption in an ultra-mobile form factor, we believe that WD SSDs would be the ideal match for their storage needs and performance demands,” says Subbadu.
WD Green SSD
- Great option for the first-time SSD user offering affordable performance and sizeable storage options.
- Available in 120GB and 240B capacities, and in both 2.5-inch/7mm case or M.2 2280 form factors.
- Capable of ultra-low power-draw to enable PC usage for longer periods between battery charges.
- Delivers sequential read and write times at 540MB/s and 405MB/s and endurance at 40TBW for 120GB drive and 80TBW for 240GB drive.
WD Blue SSD
- Optimised for multitasking, creating the ability to run resource-heavy applications simultaneously without experiencing system slow-down.
- Perfect in either a notebook or desktop PC, WD Blue SSDs are available in 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB capacities, and in both 2.5-inch/7mm case or M.2 2280 form factors.
- Delivers sequential read and write times at 540MB/s and 500MB/s for the 250 GB drive and 545MB/s and 525MB/s for the 500 GB and 1TB drive, with endurance times at 100 TBW (250 GB), 200 TBW (500 GB) and 400 TBW (1TB).
Pricing and Availability:
WD Blue SSD
WD Blue SSDs are available in 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB capacities, and in both 2.5-inch/7mm case or M.2 2280 form factors. WD Blue SSDs have a recommended retail price starting from of R1429.00 and are currently available at selected retail outlets.
WD Green SDD
WD Green SSD’s are available in 120GB and 240B capacities, and in both 2.5-inch/7mm case or M.2 2280 form factors. WD Green SSDs have a recommended retail price starting from R799.00 and are currently available at selected retail outlets.
Pricing is inclusive of V.A.T. and subject to the Rate of Exchange (RoE).
Both WD Blue SSDs and WD Green SSDs are protected by a 3-year limited warranty.
About Western Digital
Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC) is an industry-leading provider of storage technologies and solutions that enable people to create, leverage, experience and preserve data. The company addresses ever-changing market needs by providing a full portfolio of compelling, high-quality storage solutions with customer-focused innovation, high efficiency, flexibility and speed. Our products are marketed under the HGST, SanDisk and WD brands to OEMs, distributors, resellers, cloud infrastructure providers and consumers.
Forward Looking Statements
This news release contains certain forward-looking statements, including the approximate price and estimated product availability of the WD Green SSD, that are based on current expectations and involve numerous risks and uncertainties that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate. Risks that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate include among others: our product offerings may not be available at the price and time we expect, and other risks detailed from time-to-time in Western Digital’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings and reports, including, but not limited to, our most recent annual report on Form 10-K to which your attention is directed. This news release contains information from third parties, which reflect their projections as of the date of issuance. All statements made in this news release are made only as of the date of this release. Western Digital undertakes no obligations to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances change after the date of this release.
- US company launches new solar-powered water production device in Cape Town
- Atlas Copco launches compact and lightweight mobile compressors
- Wacker Neuson South Africa extends market share in partnership with Coastal Hire Botswana
- Energas launches new in-line deflagration flame arresters
- A look at KZN’s new R2.5 billion hospital – launching in 2019