MegaBanner-Right

LeaderBoad-Right

LeaderBoard-Left

Home » Industry News » Business Advisory & Financial Services News » Aston Martin’s finance boss to leave as losses deepen

Aston Martin’s finance boss to leave as losses deepen

Aston Martin’s chief finance officer will leave the company following a tumultuous 2019 in which the luxury carmaker’s losses ballooned after sales dropped and it drafted in a new investor to help turn around the firm.

The firm, famed for being fictional agent James Bond’s car of choice, posted a 104.3 million-pound ($136 million) pretax loss in 2019 after a 7 percent decline in core wholesale demand.

Aston said last month that Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll would buy up to 20 percent of the company and existing shareholders would also inject more cash to stabilize the automaker.

“The big difference between last year and this year is the strength of the balance year,” Chief Executive Andy Palmer told Reuters.

“We’re in a very different place and have therefore an ability to properly… destock and that means gets the balance right between supply and demand.”

The company said Chief Finance Officer Mark Wilson will step down from his role no later than April 30 but that he had not been fired.

China was a bright spot in its performance last year with sales rising 28 percent but the company, like the rest of the industry, has seen demand drop due to the coronavirus outbreak.

There has also been some disruption to the supply of certain components but the company said it had not seen an impact on production, with components secured until at least the end of March.

The firm has also delayed plans to electrify its line-up until “no earlier than 2025”, and Palmer said the firm would focus on hybrid vehicles in the meantime, starting with the Valhalla model in 2022.

“We’ve enhanced the deployment of our V6 plug-in hybrid so there is a lot of work going into that technology and it will go across a greater range of cars,” said Palmer.

Reuters

To enquire about Cape Business News' digital marketing options please contact sales@cbn.co.za

Related articles

R22 Refrigerant phase-out hits SA food sector as supply and compliance pressures rise

R22 Refrigerant phase-out hits SA food sector as supply and compliance pressures rise By Adrian Ephraim South Africa’s food manufacturers, cold storage operators, and refrigeration contractors...

Beckhoff Automation increases global sales to 1.24 billion euros

Beckhoff Automation increases global sales to 1.24 billion euros BECKHOFF Automation has closed the 2025 financial year successfully and has increased its global sales to €1.24...

MUST READ

Electric truck market in South Africa needs government action to grow

Electric truck market in South Africa needs government action to grow By Adrian Ephraim SOUTH Africa’s commercial vehicle sector has a policy challenge. The technology for...

RECOMMENDED

Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.